Professional Development opportunities for school systems and school staffs are on-going and can be tailored to the needs of your educational community. A few possibilities within the Virginia Holocaust Museum are:
- Full day workshops including a tour of the VHM and workshop focusing on the teaching of the Holocaust.
- Half day workshops including a tour of the VHM and an overview of available educational materials and opportunities for teachers and students.
- Saturday workshop on modern genocide and suggested teaching methods.
- Workshops delivered by special guests such as Facing History, Facing Ourselves.
Besides our guided museum tours workshops for middle and high school students, or students who are required to study the Holocaust and/or modern genocide during the school year are available. These workshops include, but are not limited to:
- Video presentations and discussions
- Art projects
Alexander Lebenstein Teacher Education Institute
This summer the Virginia Holocaust Museum will be offering the Alexander Lebenstein Teacher Education Institute. The Institute is a ten day course, assisting educators with their understanding of the Holocaust and genocide. Sessions focus on historical background and pedagogy which link to the Virginia Standards of Learning requirements. TEI is offered in partnership with Longwood University and is funded through a generous gift from Weinstein Properties.
Week 1 (Online Session): July 4–9, 2016
Week 2 (at the VHM): July 11–15, 2016
Week 1 (Online Session): August 1–5, 2016
Week 2 (at the VHM): August 8–12, 2016
- Graduate Credit is optional for an additional cost
- Room and Board is available for an additional cost
This Institute is recommended for middle and high school educators that would like to or currently teach the Holocaust in their classrooms. If you have questions or need information regarding Room and Board or Graduate Credit, please contact Megan Ferenczy, Director of Education, Virginia Holocaust Museum.
The Application Deadline has been extended to May 20, 2016: Enroll Here